Puy Saint Vincent is the kind of place we had our heart set on when we imagined our motorhome skiing season – a small pace with a really interesting ski area and a distinct lack of tour operators. In fact, if you search Puy Saint Vincent on Google, you’re not going to find a single major tour operator featured on page one.
If you like Risoul and Vars, this might be one to add to your list. If you’re into the stats, it’s got 75km of alpine piste and loads of lovely tree areas on the side for a spot of backcountry practice. If off-piste is your thing, then it’s pretty good for that too but guides are recommended (as always).
PRICE (March 2018): €10
(payable in hotel but… we couldn’t find anyone to take our money and other reported the same)
A trip to Puy Saint Vincent is for you if you want to tick any of the following boxes:
- You’re on a budget – ski passes are nearly half the price of the bigger resorts at just €130/week
- You’re taking the family or you fancy a multi activity holiday – loads of things to do without breaking the bank – night time tobogganing, skidoo tours, snow shoeing etc.
- You like the more off the beaten track ski stations
Approach to Puy Saint Vincent
There are two routes into Puy Saint Vincent and the aire is located at 1600. When we were there the road from Les Vigneaux was closed due to avalanche (not entirely uncommon) so we entered through Vallouise.
- Exit N94 and follow signs for Puy Saint Vincent (ski station signs)
- You will know you are arriving as you will see a hairpin immediately ahead with a ‘NO ENTRY’ sign
- Double back following the switch back uphill
- Approximately 100m on your left, you will see the aire entrance immediately in front of the snow machinery garages
- Swing out as the entrance is uphill and can get snow covered fast
- Easy to access from the N94 (main road)
- Close to Briançon (LPG fill)
- Very good value
- Flat aire with incredible views
- Two small (ish) super markets a short walk away
- Quiet aire
- Long season – early opening and late closing
- Lots of rotisserie chicken!
- Regularly cleared by adjacent road clearing team
- The main building in 1600 is a pretty ugly hotel
- Only room for approx. 13 motorhomes in winter
- Waste area was damaged by snow clearers
- 5-10 minute walk uphill to the main ski area (short cut was close to avalanche)