The aire at Le Grand Bornand Chinaillon is a great place to get a change of scene if you’re staying in the aire in Le Grand Bornand or l’Escale campsite. Restricted to 48 hours, this aire is 300m from the lifts and 15 minutes up the mountain from town.
The journey to Le Grand Bornand Chinaillon Aire
Just 8 hours from Calais with tolls (12 hours the scenic/cheaper route), Le Grand Bornand Chinaillon is a little village that sits above Le Grand Bornand but is part of the same ski area and is a little more ski station than grand resort.
Approach to to Le Grand Bornand Chinaillon
A few un-intimidating switchbacks from Le Grand Bornand gets you amazing views and an escape from the busy town below.
- Coming from the west and before entering the main town, take the D4 (fork left) to Les Nants
- Once you enter the village of Chinaillon (about 15 minutes in a 3.5t driven sensibly in moderate conditions), ignore signs to the right for the aire/ camping
- Keep to the main road until almost out of the main area. You will see a mini roundabout (below) turn right here
- The aire is on the left at the bottom of this road and is not hugely obvious in winter as other vehicles do park in this area
- Relatively easy access for all types of motorhome and campervan (some switchbacks)
- No facilities in the immediate area but WC a few hundred metres away (with waste water)
- Short walk to slopes
- Free ski bus
- Small village so reasonably quiet
- Cool shops!
- No on site services so come equipped
- 48 hour stay restriction but not enforced – simply exercise good aire-manners if there are people waiting and move on
- No flat area so expect a wonky park up
- Busy as weekends with local skiers
- It’s a good 10 minute walk into town
- You can get moved when snow clearing is required