Positioned at Les Orres 1550, the Les Orres aire gives you access to one of the loveliest ski areas in the Hautes Alps. The main ski stations are at 1650 and 1800 so this aire is a little out of the main hubbub but don’t let that put you off, it’s a very lovely walk along a fir-lined forest path or a few minutes on the free ski-bus.
The journey to Les Orres Aire
Just 10.5 hours from Calais with tolls (14.5 hours the scenic/cheaper route), Les Orres is a straight forward drive if you go direct but is very well positioned for a multi-stop trip with Vars and Risoul amongst others in the area.
With everything you need to stock up in the town of Gap, (or Briançon if you’re coming from Serre Chevalier or Mongenèvre), you can power down through France without the added weight of LPG and groceries. As with many of the resorts close by, it’s a short drive up hill from the N94 and nothing to worry about it when it comes the switchbacks.
Approach to to Les Orres
The fabulous things about some of these more southerly resorts and ski stations is that they aren’t well serviced by the British tour operators, meaning that as well as being a little quieter, they don’t suffer from the manic ‘change over’ traffic.
- You need to keep you eye out for the sign (highlighted on our map below) – this is on your left as you start to see the resort build up – as the aire is at 1550, you will not necessarily be aware you are in the main resort
- If you need to fill up with water, dispose of rubbish and empty your cassette, do it on your way in, it’s shown on the map with a blue water drop
- This is a great aire for those of you with big-rigs – lots of space
- If you’re looking for space and a quieter aire, this is one for your consideration list
- Pretty much ski in-ski out with the Champs Lacas lift just above the aire. You can download the trail map here: Les Orres piste map.
- Public WC just under the snack bar above the aire – Snack Champ Lacas (good menu)
- Modern Flot Bleu service area with fresh water, grey and black disposal as well as electric booster (Pacific style so jetons required) NB: AWAITING CONFIRMATION THAT THIS IS CURRENTLY IN SERVICE
- Really easy to get to
- Free Ski Bus to 1650 and 1800 where there are shops, restaurants, mini supermarkets etc.
- The resort is hooked up with free wifi (bring a booster but 4G is good too)
- Great tourist office in the middle of town – do visit they are really nice, have good English and will fill you in on everything going on during your stay
- It’s a bit out of resort for those of you who like the après on your doorstep
- There’s no EHU so you need to manage off grid but it is a sunny position for those of you with solar
- It’s largely a no-English resort so if you like to natter to other Brits and English speakers, you might find Les Orres a bit lacking in the social department however, it’s a fun and vibrant resort so if you want to practice your French or Italian, it’s a great place to do that!